VICTORIA (November 30, 2023) – As the curtain falls on the B.C. Legislature’s fall sitting, British Columbians are reflecting on the litany of NDP government failures that unfolded during the session that stand in contrast to the bold policies introduced by Kevin Falcon and the BC United Caucus.
BC United unveils first wave of policy initiatives:
- Immediate affordability initiatives: BC United presents a set of immediate affordability-focused policy initiatives, eliminating the provincial fuel tax, cancelling carbon tax hikes, providing affordable home heating, and lowering food costs.
- Scrapped building fees and ‘CostBC’ scheme: BC United unveils a bold plan to scrap Metro Vancouver’s building fees, abandon the destructive ‘CostBC’ scheme, and replace it with common sense measures for economic growth, job creation, and reduced global emissions.
- Bold wildfire policy reforms: BC United unveils a blueprint for reforming B.C.’s wildfire preparedness, response, and recovery strategies, emphasizing modernized firefighting services, local empowerment, and proactive forest management.
- Northern B.C. transportation investment: BC United showcases a comprehensive Northern Transportation Strategy, emphasizing crucial projects like the Cariboo Connector, the Taylor Bridge, and improved highway safety.
The NDP’s session of stumbles:
- Cancer care crisis unveiled: Recent revelations expose the NDP’s inability to meet cancer care targets, laying bare the shortcomings of their makeshift U.S. treatment plan.
- CleanBC’s hidden toll: The true cost of the NDP’s ‘CostBC’ plan is exposed — and it’s a scheme that threatens to stifle economic growth, wipeout more than 200,000 jobs, slash household incomes by $11,000 per year, and burden British Columbians with a nearly $3 billion loss in crucial tax revenue for essential services.
- Government funding illicit drug trafficking: BC United calls for an investigation and audit into the NDP government’s funding of an organization involved in drug trafficking, exposing potential ethical and legal violations.
- Internal NDP memo chaos: BC United uncovers internal memos showcasing the NDP’s panic over growing opposition to the carbon tax, unveiling a desperate search for political opportunities to salvage their failing climate plan.
- Shortcomings in short-term rental legislation: BC United rejects the NDP’s shoddy short-term rental legislation, presenting common-sense amendments for housing affordability that go ignored.
- Eby’s condo flip hypocrisy exposed: Uncovered documents reveal Premier David Eby’s condo flipping hypocrisy, profiting just before the speculation tax and marketing the property as an Airbnb investment.
- MCFD ministry neglect unveiled: A damning audit exposes Minister Mitzi Dean’s neglect in the Ministry of Children and Family Development, prompting BC United to call for her removal.
- Childcare Crisis Mismanagement: BC United highlights the NDP’s inconsistent childcare support rollout, emphasizing the government’s failure to deliver on promises of $10-a-day childcare.
As the legislative session concludes, Kevin Falcon and the BC United Caucus stand out as leaders in thoughtful and results-driven policy, providing a stark contrast to the NDP’s track record of poor governance and underwhelming results under David Eby. Looking ahead to 2024, BC United remains committed to delivering a bright future for all British Columbians.